When inspiration hits you just have to go with it. No matter what else seems to be on the agenda for the day ~save life or death. Such was the case these past couple of days as I experimented with my fresh cocoons and new (old) zakuri.
I learned a few things:
First- the zakuri works just fine- the operator needs some practice! Secondly, I may want to use more cocoons for reeling my silk. I used 6 and while beautiful, it was quite fine and I had trouble re-reeling. Michael from Wormspit and Karen from Entwinements both chimed in over on facebook to give a few tips. I’ll improve next time surely!
Also, never one to waste silk-especially that which I raised here, I ended up cutting the reeled silk off the zakuri and making use of it for some silk cocoon flowers. Now those who have known me for some time really do know that most anything you put into my hands has the possibility of turning onto flowers. Some kind of genetic thing is all I can figure. The cocoons didn’t stand a chance. Actually, I had done a few test flowers with the shibori ribbon using cut cocoons as centers a while back. Never did photograph them as they sold at some show before I got around to it.
Can’t wait to make more but other things need to get done first. Put these in the shop for now…