Today I finally finished this piece. I wrote a little about it here a few posts ago when I realized I was going to line the back side with some fine red silk. I said:
“The other project is still ongoing but I think I solved a dilemma that had been plaguing me for a while. I made this piece -a bit of an ode to fabric scraps and stitches and wasn’t sure if or how I wanted to back it. I always like the back of a stitched work-maybe just out of my own curiosity. But this has sat there feeling a bit unfinished and finally it ended up sitting next to some lovely old red lining silk. The jacquard pattern woven into the very very fine red silk are beautiful cranes with florals and vines. This auspicious pattern was probably for a wedding kimono lining or some other important kimono lining. It’s a full bolt but disassembled and stitched back into a continuous length. I decided I didn’t want to cut it to fit the width of my piece- it would ruin the full pattern. So I decided to stitch it into a tube at the proper width to stitch the lining to the back of my piece. This way, should someone ever want to reuse this beautiful silk, all you would have to do would be to unstitch it. Kind of like a kimono.”
As I was hand stitching the lining onto the back, It started to take on a vestment-like quality to it. Not so much like a religious type thing but a cloth with qualities that could be used for a special occasion- a celebration or a ceremonial sort of time. The cloth makes it feel that way. In the shop here.