For some reason, I only now read this list of Elaine’s whose blog (Red Thread Studio) I get over to read occasionally (hence the reason why I missed it!). I like it on many counts. Most likely many of you who read here regularly have already visited this interview with her but it’s worth a repeat.
Elaine’s 10 Qualities of Slow Cloth (full post here)
* Joy Slow Cloth has the possibility of joy in the process. The journey matters as much as the destination.
* Contemplation Slow Cloth can be contemplative, offering a space for meditation or contemplation in the work.
* Skill Slow Cloth involves skill that can develop over time, and with intention, has the possibility of mastery.
* Diversity Slow Cloth acknowledges the rich diversity and multicultural history of textile art.
* Teaching Slow Cloth honors its teachers and lineage even in its most contemporary expressions.
* Materials Slow Cloth is thoughtful in its use of materials and respects their source.
* Quality Slow Cloth artists, designers, crafters and artisans want to make things that last and are well-made.
* Beauty It’s in the eye of the beholder, yes, but it’s in our nature to reach for beauty and create it where we can.
* Community Slow Cloth supports community by sharing knowledge and respecting relationships.
* Expression Slow Cloth is expressive of individuals and/or cultures. The human creative force is reflected and evident in the work.
Wow! That’s a lot to strive for. Gives one lots to think about on a Sunday morning! Thanks Elaine!