Houston Quilt Festival report…long post-part 1

Finally. I’m back, unpacked, and working in the studio again. Waiting for my shipment from the George Brown Convention Center to arrive (more unpacking). The show was great. For so many reasons. First, there was a decent turnout. Maybe not as many as in recent years but still respectable/impressive numbers of quilters turned out for festival. It is a little hard for me to judge the numbers by looking into the isles as my booth was located on a corner on the main isle (widest isle in the show which connected the quilt exhibit area to the food pavilion). Quilts Inc. usually publishes the actual numbers on their website. I’m used to being on a smaller isle which can give the illusion of more people- no complaints about that!
I had the opportunity to introduce many many more quilters to my shibori ribbon as well as see some of the things customers from last year made with the ribbon. Thanks to those of you who took the time to come by and show me the wearables you created and images you took of the quilts created which included the ribbon.
The make & take went fine- thanks to Virginia who manned the booth in my absence. There were quite a few in the class and all completed their shibori ribbon flower pins and proudly wore them around the show. Thanks to all of you for that as countless people visited the booth curious about the ribbon, many purchasing a kit or two to make their own. Here’s a pic of several of the gals from the class-

Now speaking of Virginia…..she was a lifesaver! Not only did she (and Duke-the standard poodle) pick me up and take me back to the airport, stand in for me at the booth on occasion, drive me all around Houston, make sure I arrived at the GBCC at 8 AM for my workshop, remind us to turn the clocks ahead, give us a lesson in cosmetology, bring us coffee, lunch and more, she wore this fantastic hat of her creation (one of many) which you can see here:
We have plans for some shibori hats….can’t wait to dye up some silk for that!

Set up went smoothly, again, thanks to Virginia who carted me and my 5 large boxes (that were shipped in via DHL and arrived as scheduled at the hotel) to the GBCC in addition to my limit of two large suitcases. Mental note: add an additional $80 RT to my expenses for checking luggage. My small carry-on held my clothes and sundries for the entire week! I spent Wednesday setting up my booth and we were open for business at 5 pm for Preview Night. Although there was a pretty good crowd the sales were modest (as usual) as people wanted to get “the lay of the land” and see where they were going to spend their money over the next 4 days. Wise decision as there were certainly lots of ways to spend it! After this very long day we finally left the hall about 10:30 pm. I can’t even remember if we got anything to eat that night or not….
Up early to get into the hall and ready to open! Had the first Make & Take at 11 and then worked the booth all day until 7 PM. Here’s a photo of the booth I snapped at the end of preview night- the ribbon bins were looking a little shabby by then. Thank goodness I thought to bring my ball winder as I was continually re-rolling the ribbons throughout the show. Normally I would have had the ribbons in their clear boxes but in an effort to save space I eliminated the boxes. Will have to rethink that next time…
I didn’t really get very many photos as I was just too darned busy all the time to do it! I’ll add some of these to my flickr page and add some notes over there…..
It was a real kick to meet so many people who came up and introduced themselves to me as flickr contacts and bloggers! Fun too, to watch people look at the shibori in person when all they have ever seen are the photos online. Even though the photos aren’t bad, it’s not the same as seeing and touching in person. I think that’s one reason I will always continue to do shows. I do like to get out of the studio and see the customer face to face. It drives me to create something FOR the customer. As a maker, if I want to stay in business, I MUST make things my customers want to buy and meeting them face to face is important for me. I learned a lot about what I will be making in the next six months by doing this show.
I really don’t like posting photos of myself, but here’s one taken by a passing quilter when she saw me snap the previous pic and insisted I needed one with me in it…

Day one down and three to go….
We left the building around 8:00 PM and headed back across town to our hotel located in the Galleria area. Cheaper hotel located further from downtown but since we had cars it was no problem. Not to mention we had to drive by Central Market each night ………….
…….where we stocked up on healthy food and snacks for lunches at the show and chose from an awesome expanse of gourmet salads, soups, and entrees at the deli section. (I bought some of those gorgeous tomatoes to snack on in the booth) If you ever get to Houston, a stop at the Central Market is a must. Here’s a few more pics-
the breads and bakery goods will take your brath away!
I don’t think I have ever seen as much variety (not to mention volume) of cheeses in one place!
(of course-had to get a bottle of wine to go with!)
DAY 2 (Halloween)
Up early and Virginia drove me in to get to the GBCC early to set up for my workshop starting at 9AM.
I was a little anxious and excited at the same time. The class was sold out and I had already met several of the students who came by the booth the previous day to say hi and tell me they were in the class. After an introduction by Maggie Backman of the Silk Experience we got started on the class. Each class has a “teacher’s pet” who helps out by taking roll, passing out materials and anything else that is needed. She was a real godsend and darned if I can remember her name right now…but thank you thank you thank you!! She received a shibori presento that didn’t begin to convey my thanks.
We practiced various stitching on different kinds of silk fabrics which were then dyed using the Colorhue dyes. We worked with 8mm habotai, organza, broadcloth, 3mm gauze, & silk satin. Even though this was a stitch resisted workshop, we covered several other methods as quilters are interested in combining techniques. Here are some of the results- again no time for many photos- I took these as we were cleaning up…
various stitched effects
the organza was really interesting as it can be layered over another hand dye creating a very interesting effect.
another organza sample
loved the simplicity of this too..




Everyone took away numerous samples of silk suitable for inclusion in one type of project or another as well as an enthusiasm for silk and the Colorhue dyes – not to mention shibori itself!

The students in each class fill out a critique survey at the end of the workshop and I was glad to see that everyone was satisfied and gave good marks on the presentation. Several were kind enough to leave additional comments on areas to improve on which were much appreciated and very helpful. Many of these students are professionals in one field or another and have taken numerous workshops related to textiles so your input was very valuable! Thank you!

At this point it was only 12 noon and there was still a whole day of selling ahead down on the show floor which seemed like it was about a mile away from where the classes took place so off I went to the show floor to sell my wares….
I can see that I will have to make this a two part post so stay tuned………
mata ne!

5 thoughts on “Houston Quilt Festival report…long post-part 1

be in touch and wonder~

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.