I will be demonstrating various shibori techniques Saturday and Sunday in Los Angeles at the 7th annual Cherry Blossom Festival in Little Tokyo. Everyone is welcome to stop by and try their hand at dyeing a square of silk using the various materials I will have on hand.
various clamping devices,string,beads,dyes,brushes,sponges,silk,etc….
-a couple of samples I made up quickly to test out the setup. to see a few more, go to my flickr page.
Here are some facts on the festival-
WHEN: APRIL 5th – 6th, 2008
HOURS: Saturday 4/5/08 – 10:30 am – 6:30 pm
Sunday 4/6/08 – 10:30 am- 5:00 pm
WHERE: Streets of Little Tokyo district in Downtown Los Angeles
The Cherry Blossom Festival Southern CA is a free admission event to the public and located
in the Little Tokyo district of downtown Los Angeles. We had between 16,000-20,000
attendees at the 2007 Festival and was named as the #1 pick in “Five Worth the Drive” in the
Auto Club’s Westways Magazine March/April 2007 as well as listed as 1 of 4 Cherry
Blossom Festivals to visit by Family Circle Magazine in their April 2007 issue.
• Main Stage – Live entertainment of Japanese Dancing, Taiko, Kimono Fashion Show,
Runway Fashion Show, Teachers Making a Difference Awards, Senator Daniel Inouye
Leadership Awards, George Kiriyama Educational Excellence Awards and variety of
performances in dance, singing and music.
• Kids Activity – Crafts, Storytelling and Inflatable Games.
• Hawaiian Village – Hawaiian entertainment and Hawaiian crafters and exhibitors.
• Cultural Pavillion includes: Photo Document Exhibit of WWII Internment Camps;
Kimekomi Dolls; Sashiko and Shibori Exhibits to name a few.
• Martial Arts arena with non-stop performances and Martial Arts History Museum.
• Ondo Dancing on San Pedro Street
• Craft, Corporate and Commercial Vendors
• Health Expo
• Cherry Blossom Food Court
So if you are looking for something to do this weekend, come on by!
See what people are saying about the festival on Yelp!
GO METRO! to the festival.